This page has links to help students with school assignments on the countries and cultures of East Asia.
- CCTV: Newspaper focused on covering news related to Mainland China, published in Chinese and English.
- China Digital Times: California-based bilingual news website covering China, published in Chinese and English.
- People’s Daily: One of the largest newspaper groups in China with worldwide media coverage. The newspaper is published in nine languages, including Chinese and English.
- South China Morning Post: News coverage predominately focuses on China, Hong Kong and Asia.
- Facts and Details: Japan: Site loaded with articles on various topics related to Japan, organized by categories.
- Japan National Tourism Organization: Tourist site that includes pictures, potential travel routes, and a blog geared at offering advice for experiencing specific aspects of Japan.
- Japan Talk: Culture and travel guide.
- NHK: World-Japan: Online version of Japan’s public media organization NHK, which provides the latest information on Japan and Asia. In addition to the online format, NHK provides news through television and radio to a global audience.
- Nipponia: A quarterly web magazine that introduces modern Japan to the world.
- Web Japan (Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan): Web site offering information on Japan, including culture, sightseeing, society, history and nature. Information is presented either through an article or video format.
- Web Japan also has a site with content geared towards younger students, Kids Web Japan.
- Korea JoongAng Daily: Newspaper published in Korean and English in partnership with The New York Times.
- NK News: An independent, privately owned site specializing in news coverage on North Korea.
- The Chosun Ilbo: Newspaper published in Korean and English.
- The Dong-a Ilbo: Newspaper published in Korean and English.
- The Korea Times: One of the oldest English newspapers published daily in South Korea.
- Google Arts & Culture: Initiative to preserve and bring the world’s art and culture online so it’s accessible to anyone, anywhere.
- Google Scholar: Use key words or search by author’s name to discover numerous scholarly articles.
- Harvard Digital Collections: Provides free, public access to over 6 million objects digitized from Harvard’s collections, ranging from ancient art to modern manuscripts and audio visual materials.
- East Asia specific tag search: Harvard-Yenching
- Library of Congress: Free online catalog and digital collections.
- Met Museum: Timeline of Art History pairs essays and works of art with chronologies.
- The Smithsonian Institution: The world’s largest museum, education, and research complex, with two museums that house Asian art: the Freer Gallery of Art and the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery. Their online learning lab is loaded with resources to help educators and students.
- UW-Madison East Asian Digital Collection: The East Asian Collection includes historical images that present a visual archive of 20th century East Asian cultural heritage.
- Purdue OWL: Purdue University’s online writing lab featuring writing resources and instructional materials.
- UW-Madison Writer’s Handbook: Handbook developed by the UW-Madison Writing Center featuring various writing advice, topic specific explanations and handouts.