The University of Wisconsin–Madison is home to some of the top experts on East Asia. Across campus, courses are taught on subjects ranging from technical Japanese translation and Pacific Rim trade economics to the Chinese legal system and Korean pop culture. The Center for East Asian Studies, established in 1962, serves broad constituencies both on and off campus, and builds bridges across the university to connect East Asian expertise within multiple disciplines. The Center coordinates educational, research, and outreach programs that strengthen UW–Madison’s reputation as a leader in area and international studies.
BECOME PART OF OUR VISION
Our vision is to develop a new generation of graduates from across all disciplines who combine linguistic and cultural competence with contemporary knowledge about East Asia. Your support is an integral component of our efforts to train students who can meet the challenges of the Pacific Century. East Asia’s extraordinary growth means we must continue to develop innovative programs to maintain our excellence.
Projects of the Center for East Asian Studies include:
- Country-specific initiatives and special programming focused on China, Korea, Japan and Taiwan.
- Fellowships: to support study of East Asia at UW-Madison and to promote study abroad so that undergraduates and graduate students gain real-world experience in East Asia.
- Faculty Exchanges: to facilitate the sharing of expertise among faculty and students from the U.S. and East Asia.
- International Learning Communities: to provide a semi-immersion language learning environment on campus through the Nihongo Hausu (Japanese House) and 中文天地 Zhongwen Tiandi (Chinese House) dormitory floors.
- East Asian Collection Enhancement: to enhance library collections related to East Asia for use in teaching and research.
Support from individuals, foundations, and corporations allows us to maintain our leadership in East Asian Studies while building new programs to address the needs of the future.
You can support us online through the UW Foundation’s secure website:
For more information about making a gift to East Asian Studies, or to discuss creating a fund to support a special initiative, please contact:
University of Wisconsin Foundation
1848 University Ave. P.O. Box 8860, Madison, WI 53708-8860 U.S.A.
Phone: (608) 265-3526
Together we can make a difference by building bridges to the future. Thank you for your support.