The focus of the 2022 East Asia in the Upper Midwest teacher program was on understanding the U.S.-China relationship through the lens of history. Two China-based historians – Zach Fredman of Duke Kunshan University, and John D. Wong of the University of Hong Kong – discussed their approach to this often tense relationship and presented their research.
Educators explored the history of trade between the U.S. and China and how it has influenced the modernization of China, how America’s foreign policy goals for the China region have changed over time, and also how the recent emergence of a pandemic has complicated these dynamics.
The curriculum guide for the “Understanding U.S.-China Relations” program is available for free as a PDF here.
The guide covers the following topics: geography and basic facts about China, the Chinese Exclusion Act, early trade between the US and China, WWII and the US-China dynamic, a select timeline of US-China Relations in the 20th Century, the COVID19 impact, and a listing of further resources.
- The Chinese Exclusion Act, by Jen-Li Ko, Marquette University, WI
- Chinese in America: Two Landmark Supreme Court Cases, by Athan Biss, The Baldwin School, PA
- Comparing Types of Censorship on Facebook and Weibo, by Theodore Frank, Milwaukee Public Schools, WI
- Five Eras of Chinese History, by Ann Yehle, La Crosse School District, WI
- Interpreting US Attitudes Toward China and People of Chinese Descent: A Visual History Gallery Walk, by Naomi Huffman, Prairie du Chien High School, WI
- Intro to Early China, by Kathleen Henderson, Milwaukee Public Schools, WI
- A Museum Exploration of US/China Trade Relations in Early America, by Nia Gipson, Saint Joseph Prep, MA
- Understanding US China Relations: Politics and Conflict, by Sui King Dawn Shum, Baruch College Campus High School, NY
- Understanding US China Relations: A Language and Cultural Perspective, by Joy Clendenning, Middleton High School, WI
- Understanding US China Trade Relations: Community and Cultural Diffusion, by Michael Freydin, Halsey Junior High, NY
- Understanding US China Relations: Politics and COVID-19, by Denae Rosato, Adams 12 School District, CO