CEAS and The East Asian Studies Center at The Ohio State University are collaborating to launch the “Midwestern Professionalization Seminar for East Asian Studies,” a four-part series of events in Spring 2021. The series is aimed at sharing skills for advancing one’s career and introducing various career paths utilizing East Asian language and area studies expertise. Events will be held virtually and are open to students on both campuses. The series will consist of the following events:
Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 3:00-4:30 pm CST
Careers in Think Tanks Seminar (pre-registration required)
Webinar ID: 976 9551 4783
Each guest will speak for 15 minutes about their path into working at a Think Tank and how students might get started down a similar path. Q&A will follow.
- Kyle Ferrier, Fellow and Director of Academic Affairs for the Korea Economic Institute
- Kathryn Botto, Senior Research Analyst in the Asia Program at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Nicholas Lardy, Anthony M. Solomon Senior Fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics
Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 6:00 – 7:30 pm CST
Digital Humanities Workshop (pre-registration required)
Speakers will discuss how to use digital methods in research and teaching and more as a means to advance one’s academic career.
- Javier Cha, Assistant Professor, Seoul National University, area of focus: Goryeo and Choson Korea
- Paula Curtis, Postdoctoral Researcher, Yale University, area of focus: Medieval Japan
- Yin Xu, Doctoral Candidate, Washington University, St. Louis, area of focus: Early Modern China
Wednesday, March 31, 2021, 7:00-8:00 pm CST
Careers in Journalism (pre-registration required)
Meeting ID: 950 3499 5373
Each guest will speak for 20 minutes about their path into journalism, issues facing this profession, and what students interested in East Asia can do to prepare themselves to enter this field. Q&A will follow.
- Jonathan Cheng, China bureau chief for The Wall Street Journal
- Elizabeth Shim, Chief Asia Correspondent for UPI
- Mike Chinoy, CNN
Friday, April 9, 2021, 12:50 – 1:45 pm CST
Careers in Policy Seminar (pre-registration required)
Each guest will speak for about 15 minutes about their careers and about how students with policy interests might get started down a similar path, and will be available to answer some questions.
- Nathan Bland, Diplomat in Residence, U.S. Department of State
- Soo Kim, Policy Analyst, Rand Corporation (formerly of the CIA)